When it comes to visiting the world’s most beautiful places, the old adage rings true: Take nothing but photographs, and leave nothing but footprints.
But, how big is your footprint? We’re not talking about the impressions you leave while walking down a sandy beach. We’re talking about your ecological footprint and it’s more important than you might think. Your eco footprint measures your demand on natural resources.
What does this have to do with motorcoaches? Glad you asked. Transportation, particularly ground travel, is where most travelers have the biggest environmental impact. Coach travel offers an immediate alternative for those seeking to reduce their energy use and carbon footprints. The car you drive and the fuel you fill it up with contributes to how large your footprint is. Motorcoaches, as you can imagine, use a lot more fuel than your average mid-sized sedan. You’d think that would be a negative, but actually, it’s not. Environmentally friendly by nature, motorcoaches use significantly less fuel per passenger, as they are able to displace up to 56 cars from the road ultimately reducing emissions and traffic congestion.
Not getting it? Let’s say that you drive (alone) from A to B and use 20 gallons of fuel. A coach makes the same trip, with 56 people on board, and uses 280 gallons of fuel. You’ve used 20 gallons of fuel; each person on board the coach has used only 5 gallons of fuel.
Who has the smaller footprint?
So… where’s all this leading? It’s simple, really. Motorcoaches are going where you want to go – across the country, across the city, to the theatre, the airport, the historical landmark, the hotel, the office and you’re helping to save the planet – making our planet much more, well, green!
But wait, there’s more to green travel than just reducing your eco footprints. Here are some more reasons to travel by coach:
- On average, a motorcoach emits 60% less CO2 into the air than a standard mid-sized car, 54% less than a passenger train, and 86% less than a commercial airliner.
- One motorcoach takes up 383 square feet of parking space, 56 average cars take up 6,944 square feet (not taking into consideration the “in-between” space). That means larger parking lots, with fewer trees and diminished natural habitat.
- The ultra low-sulfur diesel fuel used exclusively on motorcoaches burns cleaner than the regular unleaded, resulting in up to 20% less green house gas emissions begin released into the atmosphere.
When it comes to going green, we’re onboard. Tour West America, Inc. is pleased to announce the addition of new, low-emissions motorcoaches to our fleet. The MCI J4500 is powered by the latest clean-diesel technology and features three-point seatbelts for every rider. Like you, Tour West America, Inc. is sensitive to our environment and is doing something about it by investing in cleaner motorcoach technology, recycling programs and fuel saving initiatives.
What does “powered by clean-diesel technology” mean? Today’s new motorcoach models are vastly greener than their predecessors. The EPA mandated new diesel-engine technology designed to drastically reduce polluting particulate matter (black smoke) by 90 percent and reduce Nitrogen oxides by 82 percent. The new Cummins engine and Allison transmission package on the J4500 meets 2010 EPA standards that mandate near-zero Nitrogen oxide and particulate-matter emissions.
In addition to our new clean-diesel equipment we’re doing our part to conserve energy in other areas:
- Our coaches feature components to help us minimize fuel consumption, including the Smartire tire pressure monitoring system.
- We subscribe to our tire manufacturers recycling program.
- Drivers are well-trained and adhere to appropriate driving standards to conserve fuel.
- We recycle all fluids and have a stringent maintenance program in place that keeps our fleet in top shape for better fuel efficiency.
- Our office lighting has been retrofitted to use high efficiency bulbs.
- All metals, cardboards, paper and plastics are separated and sent to local recyclers.
Taking a green approach to travel is an easy and essential way to protect the places you love to visit, not just for yourself but for the travelers who will come after you.
Travel Green & Clean with Tour West America, Inc.